TOUCHING LIVES TEACHING FELLOWSHIP
A journey of Self-Work*, Seva, Sadhna
AS A FELLOW, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
- Work towards Learning and Healing of children and families living in slum communities, supporting them to become Independent Learners
- Most of our children attend Municipal or Government aided schools with different mediums of instruction in school like Marathi, Hindi, English, Tamil
- Children come from vulnerable socio-economic background where drop-out ratio from schools is high and there is a need to provide psychological/emotional development support. There is also a need to assist the children to attend regular school. Thus, we need to take an approach of using therapeutic learning methods for overall development of children. This involves integrating mental health, education and developing conscious parent-child relationship
- The focus areas for the overall development of children at Touching Lives:
Learning & Education: English, School Study, Humanities
Mental Health: Therapies, Activities
Spiritual Health: Healing, Meditation, Connection with Earth
Conscious Relationships: Work with children/parents, Counseling
Physical Health: Yoga, Sports
- As a fellow, you would be Creating curriculum, Conducting class for 2 batches everyday of one half hours each, Having conversations with children, Creating creative resource for the classroom, Home visits, Reporting, Maintaining and organizing the classroom, Be a part of organizational work, Visiting communities and Meeting parents for admission.
AS A FELLOW, WHAT SHOULD I BE READY FOR?
- Touching Lives is unique in a special way- Where Mentors and Community Leaders are certified therapists too and give equal importance to the mental health of children. The must be open to learning therapies and healing modalities.
- Being a mentor to the children, the fellow must be ready to take up responsibility for the Learning and Healing journey of each child, patiently working with them to identify their strengths, meet parents regularly and be commit him/her-self to build strong connections with children
WHERE IS THE LEARNING CENTER?
Touching Lives Learning Center is in Dahisar, Mumbai.
WHAT WILL BE THE DURATION OF THE FELLOWSHIP?
April 2019 to April 2021.
WHAT WILL I BE TEACHING?
DISCOVERY FELLOW: Discovery program focuses on helping the child to discover him/her-self. Become more aware of their abilities, developing healthy and positive attitude about self. It has a workshop-based approach for in-depth learning and gaining new insights. Concepts like Life-skills, English are taught through creative ways like art, story-telling, presentations, outdoor activities and discussions.
It also emphasizes on Self-Work* which is achieved through Healing and Therapy. The mentor must to be open to learn various healing modalities which would be helpful for children and self.
TRANSIT FELLOW: Transit class focuses on English language and School studies. You would have children from different standards and mediums in the same class- mainly in the age group of 12 to 16. English is taught creatively, through stories, poems, enactments and lots of reading. Once in a week, volunteers come to help children with school studies. Along with English, to develop interest in Math and other school subjects in a child-friendly way.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Passionate about working with children, Good in multi-tasking, Be a co-traveller in the learning and healing journey of team-mates, Wise to make children independent thinkers, Willing to creatively resolve difficulties and be completely Non-judgemental.
Discovery Fellowship: Masters degree in Psychology, Counselling, Clinical psychology, Human Development is preferred.
Transit Fellowship: Experience of teaching English with creative methods and activities is preferred.
We have individuals working in our team from various backgrounds including Psychology, Commerce, Engineering, Law, Human Development.
HOW TO APPLY?
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Fellowship 2019
Time – Minimum 2 years.
When you become a part of the Touching Lives tribe, through the Fellowship journey, you commit to become a part of the journey of each child in your class – being a source of love, care, inspiration and a safe space for them.
When you become a part of the Touching Lives tribe, through the Fellowship journey, you commit to work on yourself first. Learning and practicing alternative therapies, meditations, healing modalities – begin your process of evolving as a human being.
Touching Lives is committed to be a pure platform for young souls looking for opportunities to serve children at the ground level and provide opportunities & training for Self-work*.
As a fellow, you choose the opportunity to contribute in the lives of children by becoming a part of their world in the deepest, warmest and closest and most direct ways – The impact that you can make in child’s life is – You can help them develop growth mind-set which is essential for a learner. Help them believe in their skills and qualities or even establish new ones. You can create a spark of interest in Education so that they do not give up studying. Teach them humanity so that they learn to live in harmony and peace, outside and within. Feel so inspired to learn that they never think of giving up!